PKWA Law named as a top family law firm in the Straits Times “Singapore’s Best Law Firms 2021” award ranking


Issues in a Contentious Divorce in Singapore


quick divorce

Issues in a Contentious Divorce in Singapore

A divorce is an emotionally difficult process and understandably so. Parties to a divorce not only have to deal with the end of a marriage and relationship, they also have to worry about other issues such as finances, where to live, and how the divorce might affect the children.

It does not help that some divorces tend to be more acrimonious than others. If your divorce is a highly contentious and stressful one, do take note of what the commonly disputed topics are:


1. Whose fault is it?

No one likes to be blamed for the failure of a marriage. As such it is common for parties to go through the divorce proceedings trying to prove that the dissolution of the marriage was due to the fault of the other party.

To reduce acrimony and to save both parties time and costs, it is advisable to water down the particulars of fault so that your spouse will be more agreeable to the divorce. Alternatively, to remove the fault component completely, parties may consider a separation of 3 or 4 years before filing for divorce.

The Singapore Courts will usually encourage parties to look beyond who is at fault and instead find common ground to allow the divorce to proceed with as little acrimony as possible.


2. Custody of children

The topic of custody, care and control, and access to children is undoubtedly the most difficult issue to deal with during a divorce.

In many contentious divorce cases, it is common for parties to fight for the custody of the children. Whilst most parents do so because they believe they are the better parent; others fight for custody simply out of spite towards the other parent. In such situations, it is helpful to have a good divorce lawyer, one who is able to mediate and encourage parents to act in the best interests of the children.

In Singapore, it is increasingly common for marriages to involve a non-Singapore resident – i.e. either between a Singaporean and non-resident, or between two non-residents. When a foreigner is involved, the issue of which country the child shall live in after the divorce will often arise. It is important to note that a parent shall only be allowed to relocate overseas with the child when consent of the other parent is sought. In the absence of the said consent, permission must be sought from Court. When determining matters pertaining to custody, care and control, and access to children during a divorce, the paramount consideration for the Singapore Courts is the welfare and best interests of the children.

As international and cross border divorces involving children are often highly complex, it is crucial to engage a divorce lawyer with the skill, compassion, and patience to assist parties in reaching an agreed outcome.


3. Spousal and Child Maintenance

Maintenance is considered a form of financial support. Under Section 69 of the Women’s Charter (Cap. 353) you can apply for maintenance:

  • For your child, from the other parent, if he or she neglects or refuses to provide the child with reasonable maintenance;
  • For yourself, from your husband, if you are a married woman whose husband neglects or refuses to provide you with reasonable maintenance;
  • For yourself, from your wife, if you are an incapacitated husband whose wife has neglected or refused to provide you with reasonable maintenance; or
  • For yourself, from your parent, if you are over 21 and you are still a full-time NSman or student.

As spousal maintenance can be paid over many years, the need to pay maintenance and the amount to be paid is usually argued upon heavily between parties undergoing a divorce.

Whilst most parties to a divorce are usually agreeable to provide maintenance for their child, disputes often arise when one party has been defaulting on payment and/or not paying an equal share. The fact that the maintenance sum is usually paid directly to the parent having care and control of the child further complicates the issue of maintenance as the paying party may feel that his/her ex-spouse is not using the monies for the child’s benefit and living expenses.  


4. Division of matrimonial assets

In contentious divorces, the division of matrimonial assets is a difficult issue that parties have to deal with. It is important to note that though the Singapore Courts divide matrimonial assets in a “fair and equitable” way, what is fair and equitable in the eyes of the law may not always seem fair and equitable to the parties involved.

It is common for parties to worry about not having a place to stay after the divorce. As such, when it comes to the division of the matrimonial property, it is often not easy for parties to come to an agreement with regard to who should retain ownership of the property and/or how the sale proceeds of the property should be divided.

In Singapore, it is common for couples to own either a HDB flat or a private property. If the matrimonial property is a HDB flat, parties must consider if the flat can be sold, whether it has to be returned to HDB, or if either party can retain the ownership of it. This issue is further complicated if the party who intends to retain the HDB flat is unqualified to retain it or lacks the financial means to service the mortgage.

In our experience with large and complex divorce cases, the most challenging and difficult cases usually involve private companies, trusts, assets in multiple jurisdictions and assets that are hidden. To ensure that the valuation of these assets is as fair and precise as possible, divorce lawyers will need to work closely with accountants and valuers. In such situations, it is important to have a good divorce lawyer, one who is able to articulate clearly what your share of assets should be, while taking into account the law, the circumstances of your case, and also both your direct and indirect contributions.




We understand that a divorce can be a daunting process. If you are going through a divorce, stay calm, be mindful of the commonly disputed topics above and engage the services of a good divorce lawyer. It may be tough now, but you will find yourself in a better place in time to come.


Contact Quick Divorce today

The divorce lawyers at Quick Divorce can help you to achieve a quick and friendly uncontested divorce if you wish to avoid a contentious divorce in Singapore.  Call us at 6854-3111.

5 reasons why you need a good lawyer in a simplified uncontested divorce




In Singapore, parties can consider simplified uncontested divorce proceedings if an agreement on the divorce and ancillary matters has been reached. This means that parties have agreed on the reason for the divorce, as well as matters pertaining to the children, division of the matrimonial home and assets and/or maintenance.


It is common for parties proceeding with a simplified uncontested divorce to engage a good divorce lawyer.

If you and your spouse are considering divorce on an uncontested basis, or if your spouse has already engaged a lawyer to commence divorce proceedings on an uncontested basis, this article may help shed some light on why you should engage a good divorce lawyer to represent you in a simplified uncontested divorce:


  1. Know your rights

Even if you and your spouse have reached an agreement with regard the divorce and ancillary matters, you would not know if your rights are being protected or whether the proposal is a fair one, if you do not know the law. In such a situation, you could be placed at a significant legal disadvantage if you are not represented by a competent divorce lawyer or if you have no legal representation at all.


Clearly, it is of utmost importance to engage a good divorce lawyer, such that he/she is able to advise you on the law and what you are legally entitled to. A good divorce lawyer is one who will listen to your case, provide you with sound advice, and ensure that your rights are protected before arranging for you to sign the divorce papers.


  1. Properly drafted documents

Poorly drafted terms in a divorce court order may pose various problems even after the divorce has been finalised, further complicating matters for parties. There have been many instances of parties finding themselves in an undesirable situation where the terms that were detailed in the court order lack clarity or are unworkable after a divorce. In such situations, one party would then have to apply to court to vary the court order after the divorce. This could be with regard to the division of the matrimonial property, access to the children, maintenance sum etc. This would in turn lead to extra incurred costs and also prolonged and unnecessary stress for parties.


Evidently, rather than engaging any lawyer for your divorce proceedings, it is crucial to engage a good divorce lawyer who is able to ensure that relevant documents are drafted precisely and clearly, and in accordance with the law as well as parties’ intentions.


  1. Knowledge on the law

Having a good divorce lawyer handle your case means that the lawyer is likely to have extensive experience in handling various types of family law matters (uncontested divorce, contested divorce, child custody matters etc.), as they manage such cases on a daily basis. This lawyer would be familiar with and highly knowledgeable about the legal documents required for a divorce as well as the court process.


As the law is ever changing, it would be prudent to engage a lawyer who specializes in family law to ensure that you will be advised on the law and its recent developments. A good divorce lawyer will also be able to help identify issues that parties may not necessarily have discussed or considered, ensuring that parties are not missing anything material. This may prevent potential issues from arising after the conclusion of the divorce proceedings, saving parties time and costs in the long run.


  1. Peace of mind

Divorce, whether contested or uncontested, can be emotionally draining and stressful for parties. A good divorce lawyer is one who will hear your case, provide you with sound advice and guide you through the legal process, ensuring that your rights are protected. Engaging a good divorce lawyer affords you the peace of mind that you are not being taken advantage of by your spouse, even if you have little knowledge of the relevant law.


  1. Costs

Engaging a good divorce lawyer does not necessarily mean you need to spend a fortune on legal fees. In fact, having legal representation may help you save money on legal fees in the long run. As mentioned above, an experienced divorce lawyer is able to identify potential issues that may arise between parties, and thus preventing a need for a variation of the divorce court order in the future.


Quick Divorce

Simply put, it is crucial to have legal representation by a good divorce lawyer in a divorce, whether contested or uncontested. At Quick Divorce, we offer a free one-time consultation. Please contact us at 6854-3111 to find out more.

PKWA Law has been recognised as one of “Singapore’s Best Law Firms” in 2021 by the Straits Times.  Our lawyers are also consistently ranked as leading family lawyers by respected publications such as the Asian Legal Business, Benchmark Litigation Asia Pacific and Doyles‘ Guide.

Contact us for a free first consultation or visit us at and




HDB Flat in a Divorce – How is it dealt with?


Most married couples in Singapore start their marriage journey with the purchase of a HDB flat. This property is also likely one of their largest asset and the most complicated to deal with, in light of the numerous CPF and HDB regulations governing it.


divorce lawyer singapore


  1. Can I still keep my HDB flat after a divorce?
  2. Even if I cannot keep the HDB flat, can I sell it to another person?


  1. Can I still keep my HDB flat after a divorce?


After a divorce, even if your spouse agreed/was ordered by the court to transfer their interest in the HDB flat to you, so that you hold the property solely, this does not mean that you will automatically be able to keep the HDB flat. You may only do so if you fulfil HDB’s eligibility conditions.


We discuss below 2 scenarios in which you may be allowed to retain the HDB flat.


Scenario 1: There are children to the marriage and you have been granted care and control of them


If there are children to the marriage, you may be allowed to keep the HDB flat if you meet these conditions:

  • You were granted care and control of the children after the divorce;
  • You are financially able to take on the payment of the home loan for the HDB flat; and
  • The divorce was not due to the non-consummation of marriage or was annulled.


Scenario 2: There are no children to the marriage and you are eligible under the Single Singaporean Citizen Scheme


If there are children to the marriage, you may be allowed to keep the HDB flat under the Single Singaporean Citizen (SSC) Scheme if you meet these conditions:


  • You are a Singapore citizen;
  • You are at least 35 years old; and
  • Your matrimonial flat is a resale flat purchased from the open market without the CPF Housing Grant for Family.


However, if you find that you do not meet condition (c) because your matrimonial flat was bought directly from HDB or was a resale flat bought with the CPF Housing Grant for Family, you must meet an additional requirement of fulfilling the 5-year Minimum Occupation Period (MOP) before you can retain the flat under the SSC Scheme.


If you are unable to fulfil the MOP, it is still possible to include another person to keep the flat with, but the approval of this arrangement would be subject to HDB’s prevailing eligibility conditions and schemes.


  1. Since I cannot keep the HDB flat, can I sell it to another person in the open market?


If you find that you do not meet any of the 2 scenarios discussed above, you will not be allowed to keep your HDB flat and will have to dispose of it when you get divorced.


Scenario 1: The 5-year MOP is not satisfied


If you get divorced before the MOP is completed, the flat will have to be returned to HDB at the prevailing compensation price, subject to HDB’s approval. However, it is possible for parties to make an appeal to HDB to sell the flat in the open market even though the MOP is not yet reached. HDB will consider such appeals on a case-by-case basis. If the appeal is successful, the parties may sell the HDB flat in the open market.


Another possibility is simply for parties to wait for the 5-year MOP to pass before they obtain the divorce, if they believe that doing so makes greater financial sense and the marriage relationship is not so acrimonious that obtaining a divorce is urgent.


Scenario 2: The 5-year MOP is satisfied


If you and your spouse are able to meet the MOP, then you will be allowed to sell the HDB flat in the open market. The sale proceeds will first go toward the repayment of any outstanding mortgage loans and the reimbursement of CPF monies used for financing the purchase of the HDB flat, with accrued interest.


As for the remaining sale proceeds, there are 2 ways for parties to decide on how the balance should be divided between parties and in what proportions:


  • If parties are able to come to a mutual agreement, they can jointly decide on what proportions the HDB flat should be divided and dealt with; or
  • If parties cannot come to a mutual agreement, they can leave it to the Court to decide on how the HDB flat should be divided in a just and equitable manner.


  • You and your spouse decide on how the HDB flat will be dealt with


In a divorce, you and your spouse have the right to discuss and negotiate between yourselves and make a joint decision on how you wish to divide and deal with your assets, including your HDB flat.


There are various arrangements that you may consider. First, it is possible for one spouse to transfer their interest in the property to the other spouse for a certain sum, to allow the spouse to continue living in the flat, provided the HDB’s eligibility conditions are met. Another possible scenario is for parties to agree to sell the HDB flat in the open market and share the sale proceeds between themselves.


During the divorce proceedings, the Court will record you and your spouse’s agreed arrangement for the HDB flat in a court decision. However, if the divorce has been particularly acrimonious and parties are unable to work together to agree on how to divide the HDB flat, they may leave this matter to the Court to decide.  


  • Allow the Court to divide the HDB flat between spouses in a “just and equitable manner”


Under the Women’s Charter, if you get divorced in Singapore, the Court will have the power to divide all your matrimonial assets in a just and equitable manner between you and your spouse.


In most circumstances, your HDB flat will be considered to be a matrimonial asset and will be divided upon divorce. Section 112(10) of the Women’s Charter defines matrimonial assets to include any assets acquired during the marriage by one or both parties. If the asset was acquired before marriage, it would still be considered to be a matrimonial asset if it meets either of the following criteria:


  • The asset was ordinarily used or enjoyed by both parties or one or more of their children while the parties are residing together for shelter or transportation or for household, education, recreational, social or aesthetic purposes; or


  • The asset has been substantially improved during the marriage by the other party or by both parties to the marriage.


This means that in the situation where one spouse received the HDB flat as a gift or as an inheritance before the marriage, the HDB flat does not immediately count as a matrimonial asset. Only where the HDB flat was being used as the matrimonial home for the family or was substantially improved during the marriage by one or both spouses, does it become a matrimonial asset subject to division by the Court.


Once the court has determined that the HDB flat is a matrimonial asset, it will proceed to divide the property in a just and equitable manner by looking at various factors.


After determining the share of the HDB flat between spouses, the Court will also make orders on how the HDB flat should be dealt with. The Court may order one spouse to transfer their interest in the property to the other spouse for a certain sum or for parties to sell the HDB flat in the open market and share the sale proceeds according to the decided proportion.



Getting a divorce while living overseas






Singapore is a very global city and its citizens have no lack of opportunities overseas. It is increasingly common for couples who were married in Singapore to migrate to other countries for a variety of reasons, whether professional or personal. However, marriages don’t always work out and the couple who has moved overseas may wish to file for divorce. This article explains how one may do so.


Applying for divorce overseas


If you were married in Singapore, but intend to file for divorce in another country, you will need to obtain a foreign divorce order by fulfilling that country’s legal requirements for divorce. In addition, the court granting the foreign divorce order must have competent jurisdiction.


Next, the foreign divorce order needs to be recognised in Singapore for the marriage to be dissolved. The foreign divorce order will be recognised if any one of the three grounds are met:

  • Where the foreign divorce order was granted by a court of the domicile of either spouse;
  • Where the foreign divorce order was granted by a court which exercised jurisdiction on the same basis that a Singapore court would have; or
  • Where there is a real and sufficient connection between the court which granted the foreign divorce order and either spouse.


Meeting any one of the three grounds will result in the dissolution of the marriage in Singapore. Parties to the marriage may then proceed with resolving ancillary matters, such as child custody, maintenance, and division of matrimonial assets.


If you wish to file for divorce overseas and your spouse files for divorce in Singapore


There may be situations where you have started divorce proceedings overseas, but your spouse commences separate divorce proceedings in Singapore. The spouse will likely choose to do so if he or she believes that they can get a more desirable outcome under the matrimonial laws of Singapore.


In response, you may wish to apply for a stay of proceedings in Singapore, which, if allowed, would suspend the divorce proceedings in Singapore. In deciding whether your stay application should be granted, the court will consider various factors such as where your children live, and the location of your assets.


A successful application will allow you to continue with the foreign divorce proceedings.



If you are living overseas but wish to file for divorce in Singapore

You may only file for divorce in Singapore if the Singapore court has jurisdiction to hear your case.


The Singapore court will have jurisdiction to hear your divorce only if either you or your spouse is:

  • Domiciled in Singapore at the time of commencement of the divorce proceedings; or
  • Habitually resident in Singapore for a period of three years immediately preceding the commencement of the divorce proceedings.


Domicile is a legal concept which refers to the place where a person intends to reside permanently and is used to link an individual to a particular jurisdiction. A party is presumed to be domiciled in Singapore if he or she is a Singapore citizen, unless the contrary is proven.


Furthermore, you should check if your spouse has filed for divorce overseas. If so, you may need to apply to the foreign court to stay the divorce proceedings and at the same time make sure that the Singapore divorce proceedings are not stayed.


In order to have a quick divorce, it is best that you and your spouse agree on the divorce and all ancillary issues.  Our lawyers can explain more when you meet them for a free consultation. 


If successful, you will be able to continue with the Singapore divorce proceedings to have your marriage dissolved. 


If you have any queries, please contact Quick Divorce at 6854-3111.







An uncontested divorce is the alternative to going through a trial in court.  An uncontested divorce is much less expensive than a contested divorce and allows both parties to end their marriage amicably and quickly.

In Singapore, a majority of divorce cases are uncontested divorces.  

In uncontested divorces, spouses must come to an agreement on all issues raised by the divorce. This means important decisions like how assets are split or how custody is managed must be made together and agreed and signed by both parties in the Court Order.  This means that you must be able to talk to your spouse and come to an agreement on all issues.  Contrast this with a contested divorce, in which both spouses are not able to agree on ancillary issues and litigate in court for the judge to decide.


When do you go for a contested divorce?

A contested divorce is suitable only if you have an exceptionally complex case or have a spouse who is completely uncooperative.  It is also quite common for a divorce to be contested if there are large assets to be divided or where both parties want custody of the children.


Requirements of an Uncontested Divorce

Some of the basic requirements you will need to get an uncontested divorce are;

  • You must have been married for at least 3 years.
  • You must have a valid ground for divorce.
  •  .You must be a Sinaporean, or a PR. If you are not a Singaporean or PR, you must have lived in Singapore for at least 3 years.

    Contact QUICK DIVORCE SINGAPORE at 68543111 for your free first consultation today.


festive period and divorce

Why is there a spike in divorce enquiries once the festive period ends?


Whenever a festive period like Chinese New Year or Christmas ends, here at Quick Divorce Singapore, we usually notice an upward trend in divorce enquiries.


The post-festive period – where happiness runs out?


The festive season is usually associated with happiness and joy. In most cases, couples are already dealing with issues or are facing a crisis in their relationship. So why do more couples contemplate or decide to file for divorce after the festive period? There appear to be a variety of reasons:


  1. They do not want to dampen the mood during the festive season, especially if children are involved.
  2. The children are back at school.
  3. Couples may want to have one “last” gathering as a family.
  4. Troubled couples may have hoped that the joyous period will help to improve the situation.
  5. They may want to avoid the awkwardness and “interrogation” at family gatherings.
  6. Couples decide that they want a fresh start in the new year.
  7. Pressure from friends and family during gatherings as the acrimony might not be isolated to the couple alone.
  8. Something major happened during the festive season that leaves divorce as the only option for the couple.
  9. Money problems resurface under the added pressure and expenses attached to the festivities.


At the end of the day, getting a divorce is a significant and difficult decision. While we recommend getting legal advice early, we also wish for potential clients to take the time to make sure that a divorce is what they really want.


If you have decided that a divorce is the way moving forward, it is best to consider settling it in an amicable manner to save yourself time, money and the emotional burden.


If your divorce is mutual and uncontested, it takes only 1 month to obtain the Interim Judgment and another 3 months after that to obtain the Final Judgment. There is no need for you to appear in court as well.


The fees for an uncontested divorce is significantly lower than if the divorce is contested. At Quick Divorce Singapore , our fees are $1,500 if there are no ancillary matters and $2,500 if there are ancillary issues.


Contact QUICK DIVORCE SINGAPORE at 68543111 for your free first consultation today.


When can I marry again?

In Singapore, after your divorce, you may remarry after the Final Judgement has been obtained. The Final Judgement is also known as the Certificate of Final Judgement Form. You must also wait till the Court has concluded all ancillary matters pertaining to your case, or for 3 months, whichever comes later, before you may apply for the Certificate of Making Interim Judgement Final.

Is a lawyer required for a divorce?

Do you need a divorce lawyer to handle your divorce?

Technically, you may apply for a divorce on your own without a lawyer, though this is usually not the recommended approach. The process may be unfamiliar and complex for some. You will still be required to file the required legal documents in the correct formats, pay the relevant filing fees and submit your documents via the court’s online portal. Failure to do so may cause you to incur additional and unnecessary filing fees. You will also not receive any legal advice from the Family Justice Courts. Only a practicing lawyer is able to give professional advice on your case.

Is it possible for my spouse and I to come to an agreement so that we may avoid a contested divorce?

In short, the answer is yes. In fact, this is the recommended approach. Contested divorces are lengthy and much more expensive. It can also be emotionally taxing for all parties involved. An uncontested or agreed divorce is often the better option for you, your partner and children. That is if you are able to agree with your spouse on the terms on how to move forward with a divorce.